Monday, December 8, 2008

First and Second E-mails from Bulgaria

Hi Mom,

I just got done with orientation and tell dad sorry but I am going to be writing to you more than him now, ha ha. It is 1:41 pm and I got my new companion, his name is Elder Bulgaras. I haven’t found out where he is from. But I do know he is American. I have been called to a city on the border of Romania. The city is called Russa. In Bulgarian it’s “Pyce”. It is on the top right corner of Bulgaria. I am super excited. I heard it’s just me and Elder Bulgaras and another companionship in the 3rd biggest city in Bulgaria. I honestly love Bulgaria. It feels very European, but not. It is hard to explain. I will explain more on Monday when I can write again. I head out in about one hour to Russa. I hope I am spelling Russa right.

Love you very much, talk to you soon.

Elder Bracken


Jordan's second email in Bulgaria. Today is his official p-day. I Have never seen a letter so long from him before.


So, I read every email. HOLY cow that was a lot of emails. Anyways, I will go day by day explaining what has happened so far. I am going to switch over to a gmail account next p day. Everyone has told me it is easier to work with and I can receive pictures. My lds mail won’t let me receive or send pictures. So next week I will write everyone on my gmail account. On my flight I slept all the way through Vienna. The only customs I had to go through was in Sofia. It was very easy to do. I just showed my passport. My first day in Bulgaria… I went contacting and I got kicked out of the park from a very funny guy. He looked so mad. I didn’t understand anything he said, but the AP did and we just left then afterwards. We had meeting with President Bennett he is a nice guy. Then we ate Bulgarian food. Not a big fan of it, but it doesn’t taste bad. Thursday we walked to the park where Elder Neilson dedicated the Sophia, Bulgaria mission. It is cool. It is this huge forest in the middle of the city. We all wondered off into the woods and prayed and dedicated our mission to the lord. Then we came back and met our trainers. My trainers name is Elder Bulgerthos. He is a funny guy. He reminds of a cooler version of Michael Wagner. We took a 5 hour bus ride to Russe. I am sick of traveling. Then we got to my apartment. It is huge and nice, I am excited to stay here. We have nice beds with a nice mattress. Friday was my first missionary day. We met up with the other two elders in our city. They are Elder Bingham and Elder McKee from Utah and Idaho.
Our district is the smallest one in Bulgaria and we are the farthest away from everything so it’s kind of interesting. Wow Bulgaria is very interesting place. I have never seen so many breasts in my life its amazingly gross just billboards and posters and everything it is terrible. The thing that makes me sad about this country is that it has a lot of potential. They don’t do anything about it. The people have lost interest for everything but s/e/x drugs and a/l/c/h/o/l. I have to change the letters because my ldsmail won’t let me send vulgar words. It is just different. The church here is so small and I have met one of the few strong members here in Russe. Her name is kpocN but it’s Crossy in English. I will get the members a little later.
We did our first form of contacting which is called street boarding and I got bunched for the first time. It is when we get called out buy people or called names or be made fun of. It’s a code name... because people call us a sect here. It’s not bad sounding to you but it is like calling us a cult. Street boarding is where we put up a board and we all stand around it and talk to people and stop them and tell them about our church. It is so hard. I know how to introduce myself but that’s as far as I can go. But it is coming. It is like when I got out here my Bulgarian disappeared and my understanding heightened.
Then after that we went shopping and bought me stuff. I bought me a backpack, like a hiking one for overnighters. We travel A LOT. This week on Sunday I travel to Varna for 3 days for a zone Christmas conference. Then I go to Sofia the week after that. Then I go to Plovdiv for more passport work. I will be everywhere for the next month. I am excited to see the country. We were looking at coats but I am going to buy one in Varna. It is a bigger city then Russe. After shopping we had a fun night with the branch. We set up a Christmas tree and played UNO. It was only with 3 members and us 4. It is sad. I came home and slept.
Saturday was another interesting day. Well actually they all have been. We started out with English lessons. I hear that English lessons are the only way we get people interested. People get to meet us in a none harmful environment. We had this really nice old lady that seemed golden. Then this crazy lady walked in and totally ruined the spirit. So we lost that. Saturday is name day. Everyday is name day. It is like their birthday but better. I guess you are named after a saint here in Bulgaria. Every name has a day. So what your called and on that day you celebrate. So it was Nicoli day. We have 4 Nicoli's in our branch and the people came and celebrated. So afterwards we cleaned up the church and got it ready for Sunday. Then we ate at the only Asian restaurant in Russe it was sooooo gross I was excited at first but ya I almost threw up....
Sunday was interesting because it was fast Sunday. I will explain my mission. It took me a few days to figure it out because I had only tracked once and couldn’t figure out why we didn’t tracked that much. So here is what I think, remember the “Other side of heaven”... watch that again when you can and I AM HIM ha ha there are 35 members on the rooster. 14 showed up. A bunch of crazy ladies laughing the whole time. Then they have a 25 year old branch president. First time I met him... he is very cool and he joined in Sofia but moved up here for work. Then he was called to be pres. but ya my comp is 1st counselor and the other senior companion is 2nd counselor. Then me and the other newbie. And we are trying to work our terrible Bulgarian magic.
The members are really nice so they help us out. So there are only 4 strong members in Russe a old lady that is very sweet. I love her to death but she cooked a gross meal for Nicoli day. She is very smart and she is kinda rich so she dresses well and helps the branch out a ton. She is the Sunday school teacher and then there is Crossy she is the Relief Society president and Evan the Branch President. So I figured out my purpose in Bulgaria when I went door knocking on door for the first time...... EVERY door slammed in my face. I mean that is a whole block. I think we knocked on at least 100 + doors. So this is my answer… if no one will listen to us and no one comes to church. We need to do something. So I see why I don’t track and contact that much. It is not like Central America. It is hard to find people. So we are trying to strengthen our branches and grow that way. I am not that discouraged any more because I know that I am here to build the kingdom of God and one day it will be strong in Bulgaria. But we need to people to be strong. If we have a average of 15 attendance and 35 members that is sad. So that is my goal now. Too strengthen Bulgaria.

My p day should be fun today and I am looking forward to hearing from you next week. I love you guys and I am thankful for all the examples you have given me in my life. I love you and will write a brief message to everyone else.

Love,
Elder Bracken

No comments: